To help us get in character, we’ve compiled the top five tips on getting your pirate imitation down packed.
1) Learn the pirate vocabulary. Check out some of the basics below.
Ahoy! – Meaning ‘hello’. The very first thing you should learn when getting your pirate character on.
Aye aye! – Meaning ‘I’ll get right on that sir, as soon as my break is over.’ If you’re on a ship with a Captain, you’ve gotta know how to take orders!
Arrr! – Meaning variously, “yes,” “I agree,” “I’m happy,” “I’m enjoying this beer,” “My team is going to win it all,” “I saw that television show, it sucked!”, “That was a clever remark you or I just made.”, and pretty much anything else you want it to mean.
We totally pulled these from the experts here. Check them out to expand your pirate vocabulary.
2) Dress like a pirate. Make sure that you include the bandana and the eye patch. Don’t forget the eyeliner and the beard! And depending on whether you want to be a Captain, Officer, or sweeping the poop deck, take a look at the items you’ll need handy for your role here.
3) Learn the mannerisms. Watching pirate movies and TV shows can help you add those special touches to becoming the best pirate you can be! We’d recommend the list below, but you can find plenty more to choose from here.
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Blackbeard the Pirate
4) Translate your phrase. Type your phrase into this translator to speak like a pirate in no time!
5) Smell like a pirate. Although we don’t condone bad hygiene, if you want to go all the way into character, you probably don’t want to shower for a while, and dab on some salt to really add that ocean smell effect. But please, don’t come near us!
So there you have it. Follow the top five tips and you’ll have no problem getting into your pirate character. And be sure to enter into our Comicpalooza Talk Like a Pirate Video Contest for a chance to win (2) 3-day passes to Comicpalooza 2019. We’ll see you next year!